This is an initiative from my company to conceptualize and build a prototype of an autonomous car. I represented the user experience design team and collaborated with experts from the other domains like Artificial Intelligence ( AI ), Robotics, BIG DATA, and IOT.
" Because of Non-Disclosure-Agreement ( NDA ), I won't be able to share details of my work here. Only the high-level insights from a UX point of view on autonomous cars will be proved here"
There should be a smooth transition between automated and manual mode.
- State of the Car: Once shifted to autonomous mode while the car gains its traction the gradual increase and decrease in its control should be visible to the user.
- State of the driver: Car should also know the cognitive state of the driver based on his interactions within the Car or with gestures and eye tracking.
This enables the car to identify how much attention is needed for a user to engage in a particular situation. The car should be also able to indicate the driver when to engage. This can be achieved by different sensory modalities like voice commands, visual indicators. The level of indication depends upon the cognitive load of the driver at that point in time. Also, the user should be able to understand how to engage. There should be enough affordance to perform that action in both the situation
- When the car really wants user to engage or
- When user wants to engage
Similarly, drivers should also know how and when to disengage.
“We trust machines when we know how they work and if we can predict what they will do”
- UI should be a clear indicator of what the car is doing at that exact moment, and what it sees around us.
- This brings more transparency in between the user and the car.
- A more personalized communication also brings trust among the users.
- Companion Application: This helps to extend the experience outside a car. Now the user should be able to
- Connect and retrieve necessary information about the car and journey at any point in time.
- Connect and change settings and preferences
- Personalized Infotainment: By identifying the user car should be able to provide more relevant data and thereby providing a better experience to the user.